Is self-isolation and social distancing taking a toll? Here is a list of ideas to keep you busy:
Stretch those creative muscles! Get inspired with some writing prompts below:
Libraries already have vast online resources, and many of them are extending due dates or lessening borrowing restrictions in the wake of building closures. Online library resources include digital magazines, e-books, audiobooks, music, movies and podcasts. Check out your local library to find out what resources they offer.
- The Best Places to Find Free Audiobooks (Legally)
- Audible is currently offering a free selection of its audiobooks, including literary classics and a large selection for kids in several languages.
Leave a comment below with the name of your favourite audiobook!
Have you ever thought about blogging, but never had the time? Now is the perfect time to take the next step. Here are a few resources to get you started:
- Choose the Best Blogging Platform
- Best Web Hosting Services for Canada
- How to Choose a Domain Name
- 21 Amazing Sites With Breathtaking Free Stock Photos
- How to Write an Awesome Blog Post in 5 Steps
Take advantage of this period of solitude to catch up on professional development with some of these resources:
- Editors Canada offers live webinars as well as recordings of previous ones
- Shaw Academy is offering a free 30-day trial to try out their courses (you’ll have to provide your credit card information when you sign up, and then remember to cancel your trial before it expires)
- The University of Queensland has a free course on grammar and style
- Adrienne Montgomerie offers numerous blog posts and podcasts for editors and writers
- To improve your writing and self-editing skills, check out the Editing Podcast with Louise Harnby and Denise Cowle
- The Allusionist is a podcast about etymology and language
- Lexicon Valley covers language-related topics from pet peeves to syntax
- For quick grammar tips with humour, check out Grammar Girl’s blog and podcasts
Leave a comment below with your favourite blog, podcast or other professional development tool!
And finally, be sure to read Natalia Iwanek’s blog post about self-care during isolation, on the Editors Toronto blog, Boldface.
Let us know how you’re keeping busy during this new era of social distancing.
Previous post from Anna Williams: Quick Topics: Procrastination and the Holidays
The Editors’ Weekly is the official blog of Editors Canada. Contact us.