Who is ready for a great weekend in Toronto on June 17 and 18? If you plan to attend the Editors In Real Life conference (you read that right; we’re meeting in person!), you’ll be spending the two-day event at Toronto Metropolitan University. You’ll also be able to attend a day of pre-conference sessions hosted by Editors Toronto on Friday, June 16.
In the last conference blog post, I outlined the four streams that the conference would focus on: business of editing; editing, society and diversity; foundations of editing; and tools and technology. Now that we’ve finalized the schedule, we can share some specific sessions:
- “Deconstructing the Developmental Edit” with Sangeeta Mehta
- “Freelancing 101” and “Freelancing 201” with Ruth E. Thaler-Carter
- “Conscious Language and Copyediting Fiction” with Amy J. Schneider
- “Starting Your Own Editing Podcast” with Wayne Jones
- “Indigenous Voices — Towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion” with Karon Shmon, Lisa Frenette and Nadine Ryan of the Indigenous Editors Association
Check out the rest of the lineup on the conference website.
We’ll also feature the usual Editors Canada conference events, including:
- nibbles at the welcome reception Friday night hosted by Editors Toronto and Aimee Wall, who will kick off our program with Saturday’s opening keynote
- the live return of our awards banquet on Saturday night
- speed mentoring sessions connecting newcomers to the field with experienced editors
- the Conference Buddy program to help connect attendees
- networking lunches at great nearby restaurants (it is Toronto after all!)
- a closing keynote by renowned author and speaker David Robertson
We hope the message is clear: if you haven’t got your tickets yet, please register! We have already sold two-thirds of the 150 tickets available, and we’d love to see you there. So check out our registration page sooner rather than later.
Any questions? Feel a last-minute urge to volunteer? Feel free to connect with co-chairs Maylon Gardner and me at email@example.com. Or join our conference Facebook group to connect with other attendees and share information.
Previous post from Suzanne Bowness: Meeting “In Real Life”: Conference 2023
The Editors’ Weekly is the official blog of Editors Canada. Contact us.